This site is provided by the Office of National Intelligence (ONI) through an external hosting provider. When visiting this site, a record of your visit to ONI is logged. This information is recorded for statistical purposes and is used to help improve the site's relevance and performance. Recording usage patterns helps us to identify areas of our site that are popular and those that are not. Your browser provides the following information:
- the type of browser and operating system used;
- the previous site that you visited;
- your server's IP address (ie. a number unique to the computer through which you are connected to the Internet);
- the date and time of your visit;
- the length of time spent at the site; and
- the pages accessed and the documents downloaded.
No attempt is made to identify the user or their browsing activities except in the unlikely event of an investigation, where a law enforcement agency may exercise a warrant to inspect the Internet web server logs.
Collection of personal information
When you e-mail us:
- we will record your e-mail address;
- we will only use your e-mail address for the purpose for which you have provided it;
- we will not add your e-mail address to a mailing list, unless you have specifically requested this;
- we will not use your e-mail address for any other purpose; and
- we will not disclose it without your consent, except where authorised or required by law.
Other personal information collected by us, such as through the use of an online form, will only be:
- collected by lawful and fair means;
- used for a lawful purpose;
- collected with your consent; and
- the purpose for collection will be clear and explicit.
Where you choose to send us a completed online form that includes your personal details, we may collect personally identifiable information, such as name, physical address and e-mail address. Personal information collected by the department is protected by the Privacy Act 1988(Commonwealth of Australia).
Disclosure of information
We will not use your personal information for any purpose other than the purpose for which you provided it, and we will not disclose it to any other person or organisation unless:
- we are required by law to do so; or
- there are reasonable grounds to believe that disclosure is necessary to prevent a threat to life or health; or
- you have given us consent to do so.
The preservation of the privacy of Australians is an important part of the oversight regime. Privacy guidelines developed in consultation with the Attorney-General and the Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security, limit and control the communication or retention by ONI of intelligence information about Australian persons or entities.
The IGIS regularly inspects ONI's compliance with privacy guidelines.